Monday, April 25, 2011

25 hours of silence

On sunday night at 7pm myself and over 91, 000 other participants took a vow of silence for 25 hours to help raise funds to stop Africa's longest running war.  We sacrificed one hour for every year of the LRAs leader Joseph Kony reign of terror over the villages he stalks and the child soldiers he has abducted.


The point of the day was to raise awareness through our silence - to cause a silent revolt - it wasn't easy.  I didn't really know what to expect for the 25 hours.  I knew it would be hard but I never knew how hard!  To not be able to tell someone what I was thinking or feeling or even asking for help became so much more difficult.  I had questions I wanted to ask.  I had things I wanted to say.  I had conversations I wanted to have.  I was silent.  It made me wonder what if this wasn't only for 25 hours - what if this was my life.  To be ignored.  To only be able to speak through my thoughts.  To not be heard.  It would be unbearable!  Things must change - these children deserve to have a voice - they are not worthless.


Through Invisible Children's: The Protection Plan - IC plans to put in effect a strategy in the LRA affected areas that will protect innocent civilians from brutal LRA violence, provide rehabilitation for children rescued from the LRA and facilitate progress towards apprehending the top LRA commanders.


Watch this to learn more about the Protection Plan

PARTICIPANTS
91, 355

FUNDRAISERS
32, 821

PROTECTION FUND
$1, 660, 761

To learn more about Invisible Children go to www.invisiblechildren.com

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ashleigh,
    You haven't blogged in a while... Where are you?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...