Sunday, December 8, 2013

advent - week two - peace :)

oh the peace week of advent... haha I for sure felt like this was a week to be praying that I would feel some peace this week - but there is another kind of peace we can have, and that is the peace that Jesus gives us :)

Matthew 3:1-6

In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah:
“A voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
    make straight paths for him.’”
John’s clothes were made of camel’s hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist.His food was locusts and wild honey. People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.


When I read this it reminds me to repent and sometimes I feel like this is a scary word to people, and and when they hear it they can picture someone standing on a soap box with a mega phone yelling "Repent now and save your soul"

Really, repentance I think is a discipline that we forget - or think doesn't apply to us, but I think it really is a beautiful thing because it brings us closer to Jesus.  I often even forget the importance of repenting, there was once a time in my life where it was a daily activity and I wouldn't go for longer than a day with unforgiveness or any sin because I just wanted every minute to be closer to Jesus. But things get busy, I forget, my heart becomes hard and I tell myself that it wasn't really gossip what I just said to my friend, I pretend that tv show I watch doesn't cause me to lust after things I don't have, and that when my feelings are hurt it is ok to hold that person in my debt until I want to forgive them... these things build up and our heart get's hard and we lose that peace, and we realize we can't hear that still small voice, because there is no room...

... but Jesus changes everything...

Jesus was born, died on the cross - such a crazy/beautiful act of love - and was resurrected!

The kingdom of God is here, yet is still coming.

All repenting really means is to in prayer confess the things that have caused us to stray away from Jesus, and ask forgiveness, and to choose to turn towards Jesus.  

It causes us to humble ourselves, and surrender our control over at the foot of the cross - both quite challenging things - but when we pray and humble ourselves, seek Jesus and turn from our ways the bible says that Jesus will hear and forgive us! With this forgiveness that can only come from Jesus comes peace.

Spend a minute or two and think about the peace Jesus brings through His life, death and resurrection 

So during this crazy time to you have peace?  



oh and here are some fun pics of my week :)



smiles and blessings
ashleigh



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...